Friday, September 12, 2008

My Friday (09.12.08)



I am actually going to tell you about today and last Friday in the same post. The reason is that they have some things in common.

First - last Friday marked the end of a long journey for Leslie and me. We got to call Dave Ramsey's radio program to let them know we are debt free except for our home! (We didn't get to talk to anyone, just left a message... I am sure they will call us back.) The story is long and it include incredible blessing, unusual discipline and the opportunity to teach our kids what I never got to learn about money - it is all God's and we are stewards of it!

Now, for this Friday - we woke up today, got the kids off to school and Leslie, Katherine and me went on our usual Friday morning breakfast date.

After we got home it was high gear media watch because of Hurricane Ike and the crisis it is creating. Tyler received about 2000 evacuees just around the corner and I spent the afternoon over there helping take out trash, breaking down boxes and anything else I could find to do that wasn't in the way. Another church in town (Grace Community Church) has done a great job mobilizing people and casting a vision for ministry in this context. It was a privilege to hang out with some of them in that context today.

Tonight we had some friends over for dinner. They have a great ministry and God is using them in this community to do something no one else is doing very well - they are doing multi-cultural ministry with low-income families. They are passionate about it and are incredibly gifted. It is a great blessing to get to come alongside them and be mutually encouraged.

One final note for the day - we got to give away a car today. Yeah, I've never done that before. This week we got a deal on a car that we couldn't pass up and then found ourselves with three. We don't need three. We felt led to give one away and it was awesome. And that brings me back to where I started - we are debt free. I told Leslie today that this was in no way about us, it was about God. And what I realized today is that when you are debt free, it is much easier for things to flow through you... they don't get stuck. That is my observation and the great joy we had.

I share that not to say anything about us... rather to say God is awesome. I am more and more passionate about wanting people to get out of debt. Dave Ramsey is the place to start (or a great place to start). Come on... do it, what are you waiting for?

Ok... that is my Friday - how was yours?


As always: *Propers to Todd Wright for the “My Friday” movement.

6 comments:

Robin Cunningham September 13, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

AWESOME!!! I am so proud and totally excited for you guys! You are our inspiration and who led US on this journey to debt-free living and thinking, so thank you and keep the spirit alive!

the wonder years September 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Congratulations!!! We are still a ways from being debt-free (though we're working on it too), but we celebrated a small victory this week when we received the title to one of our vehicles--just finally finished paying it off! The small victories are such motivation to keep working at it! Thanks for sharing your success!!!

Caroline September 13, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

Have you guys offered a Financial Peace class at Bethel? Clark and I finished one in the Spring..it was awesome!!!!

ross September 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

we did do Financial Peace in the Spring '07 - it was great!

Anonymous September 13, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

Thanks for the great reminder. We have been inspired by yall too and payed off a large debt this year. Greater feeling to pay something off than to charge something up. We have not used a credit card in almost 6 years and love the freedom.

Stephanie September 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

I am sorry I am late at reading this blog but now that I have read it I feel lead to ask that you please pray for my husband and myself. We long so bad to be out of debt. Being out of debt could free us up to do alot more in ministry than we are doing now. We feel like all of our time is doing something to make extra money to pay off bills. Please pray that God will do for us what he did for you.

Stephanie Crager
Todd Wrights long lost friends from Lufkin.

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP