Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fantasy Football - Week 1

Tomorrow night begins week 2 of fantasy football, so I want to reflect a bit on the gravity of the first week.
Now, if you are keeping up with "Blood, Tears and Sweat" then you know we are heavily favoring two teams: Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts.
From the Cowboys we have: Romo, Owens, and Whitten
From the Colts we have: Harrison, Vinitari, and their Defense/Special teams (we also have Dominique Rhodes as a reserve - we got to dump him!)

Ok, week 1 - such a disappointment. We lost our first game against a team that started Tom Brady. Brady went out, was worth only 3 points... and they still won - 80-73.

What was so disappointing was this - Romo threw for over 300 yds (only 3 QB's did that this week). Owens caught a TD and the Cowboys had over 400 yds total offense and won big. And yet, we did not get many fantasy points.

Secondly, the Colts obviously forgot how to play football. Harrison was a weak receiver and their Defense/Special Teams were terrible.

Third, Darren McFadden (Oakland Raiders) was the best athlete on any field Monday night... and he barely got the ball. In fact, he did not get much playing time at all. The Raiders got killed and all the while, McFadden is on the bench. That I do not understand. And, that I do not appreciate since he is our #1 running back.

Bonus: I also had such a weird experience. I love watching the Cowboys... but, I found myself hoping Marian Barber would not have a great game and that they would utilize their other players. Barber is not on my fantatsy team, so while he was great for the Cowboys, he was counter-productive to our fantasy goals. Interesing experience. I discovered that my loyalties are stronger with myself (my fantasy team) than they are with the Cowboys. In fact, I might even be satisfied with great fantasy points from my Cowboy players, even if the team loses. That was unexpected.

Honestly, I think what that reveals is the depravity of my soul. I care more about myself when NFL football was suddenly about me.

So, this is my week 1 discovery... 15 more weeks to go!

0 comments:

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP