Monday, September 1, 2008

If Geraldo Rivera was a city - he'd be Tyler


It is kind of like the spirit of Geraldo has possessed Tyler. This place has gone crazy with all the frenzy of Gustov. The local media is so excited (in the name of concern) that a tropical storm is going to stall out over East Texas and the rain potential is somewhere between 5 and 20 inches depending on who is at the mic.

Not to be left out, I went to Lowe's today and bought sand bags for the front of our house. We have a low spot in our property and a hard rain can flood our garage and Katherine's room. But, not today. I have a two foot sand bag barrier erected in front our garage and it might take a full-blown hurricane for water to penetrate this baracade. I think the levy engineers would be impressed.

What I was not expecting was to be the one that bought the last bit of sand available at Lowes. Obviously I was not the only one in survival mode today. In fact, I had to supplement my sand bags with large bags of East Texas pine mulch. I'll post some pictures tomorrow... hopefully action pictures. In fact, I may even have to get into the action with a little storm coverage video of my own.

Now, it is off to bed so I can get up early (5am) and begin to keep track of all the local closings due to rain. Yes - closings due to rain. This might make me look like an idiot after it is all said and done, but my prediction is that all this hype is going to be a little disappointing for all those hoping to see Anderson Cooper and Shepherd Smith camping out in the heart of East Texas.

3 comments:

Unknown September 2, 2008 at 6:26 AM  

I remember when Hurricane Rita was supposed to make it's way through our town a few years ago. It was the same exact thing. Everybody was filling their cars with gas, stocking up on water & ice, building storm shelters in their yard. It was like Y2K all over again. So imagine my disappointment when all we got was a few inches of rain & several leaves blown off trees. I imagine our friend Gustov will not bother us much more than that.

wjcollier3 September 2, 2008 at 6:34 AM  

sorry to disappoint you, bro. it looks like our friend gustav is going to stay almost completely out of east Texas. but hey, look at it this way. at least you have a head start on that sand box and mulching the flowerbeds. enjoy.

ross September 2, 2008 at 3:09 PM  

Doesn't look like am that big of an idiot after all (at least not this time).

Light drizzle. That is the sum total of all the drama - light drizzle!

I think my sandbags will hold.

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP