Thursday, December 11, 2008

Twitter


Over the past couple of months I have made mention of my new fascination - Twitter


Now, I'm not saying that twitter is for everyone, in fact, it isn't. But, I have found Twitter to be a great social networking tool that allows me to stay connected with 1) people I care about; 2) people I'm interested in; 3) people I'd like to know, but may never meet. It also provides an opportunity for family and friends to catch small glimpses into my life during the day.


I want to share a story that happened this past week that illustrates both the power and "coolness" of Twitter. Periodically I get on Twitter's "search page" and type in "Tyler, TX." I do this because I am always interested who else in our community is using this tool. There is always a good list this search generates and from time to time, if the people are not totally weird, I will "follow" them.


Now, Tyler is a small town, not small enough that everyone knows everyone, but we have no more than 3 degrees of separation. Last week I followed a person that lives in Tyler who happens to know Alley Burton (elder) and was somewhat familiar with Bethel, but has never been. Since all of my biographical information is on my Twitter page, this person discovered that I am a pastor at Bethel and because of the timing in their life decided that they were going to visit. I met them this past Sunday and so did many of you!


This really is less about Twitter and more of what I would call opportunity. I was reminded that all over this city there are people who are not connected with a church and would love to be. But, just like all of us, it is hard to imagine getting up on a Sunday morning (or any morning), getting dressed in clothes you don't normally wear, getting your family ready, getting in the car, driving to an unfamiliar place, parking and then making that long walk from your car to the front door... all while being a perfect stranger. It is hard to be "new" or "different" or "uninformed." In fact, I think besides public speaking, visiting a church is probably one of the most frightening and difficult things a person, couple or family ever does.


For my new friend, I was glad that there family felt at least the comfort of "knowing" someone before they got there.


So - let me ask you this morning (or afternoon/evening), who might there be in your life that would love to be connected to a community of people? And not just any community of people, but a community that is committed to following Jesus and living out His life? I can guarantee there is someone in the ebb and flow of your life that is not connected, but would love to be.


Everything I have read, and my experience supports, is that people are most likely to visit a church because someone they know asked them. In fact, it is rare that when I have invited someone to church that they flat out said "no." Most people, who are not connected to a church, are thrilled to be asked and have some excitement that they might actually find a place to connect. The problem is that we just don't ask.


So - ASK. If there is anyone that has come to your mind, make if your priority and goal to invite them to a service before the end of the year. Christmas is a great time here at Bethel and a great time for you to bring someone with you...


And you don't need a twitter account to do that.

5 comments:

Rick December 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

i want a footnote in your twitter addiction :)

Arthur James Isbell December 15, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

Very interesting. You know, a few weeks ago a teacher at my school - who's worked for me for three years now - was asking me questions about choosing a church, whether or not to get baptised, and daily devotional books I might recommend. He told me he always respected my faith. Huh? This is a man I really like, so he's heard more vulgarity-laced tirades of mine than most...and certainly all of the worst ones. How does he see through that to ask me questions about Christ? Last week, he pulled me aside to proudly announce that he and his family had joined a church and been baptised, and to thank me for my positive influence. I'm not making this up. How does that happen?

ross December 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

Rick - footnote made
Ladies and Gentlemen - Rick Cassels - cool, hip Nevada pastor who introduced me to Twitter... and come to think of it, doesn't twitter anymore (either that or he blocked me).

ross December 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM  

James - well, you are not going to like this... but further evidence of my Reformed appeal to John 6:44 - "no one comes to the Son unless the Father draws them..."

I think that means that God the Father has the prerogative to draw us to His Son in anyway He chooses... and at the same time, we will not choose the Son unless He draws us.

Movement towards God or church or Christian community is movement that is not accidental and entirely of my own doing... I did not seek God unless He drew me to seek Him. I am responding to His wooing...

And, He can certainly woo me through any means He chooses - even a profane tirade here and there...

NOW - to answer your question, authenticity is ALWAYS far more attractive than religion. In fact, religion is repulsive to me.

You have authenticity in spades my friend!

Arthur James Isbell December 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM  

OMG! Thank you! I thought you'd unilaterally ignored my comments on your blog. Your comment, "authenticity is ALWAYS far more attractive than religion. In fact, religion is repulsive to me" points to the red letters more than any words by any preacher I've ever heard...it's one of the best things I've heard you say, and I think it's the basis ...for a transcendent sermon. Authenticity is what distinguished Christ from the other traveling tent-shows, what has always distinguished the truth from the chaff. It's what damned the pharisees in the first place, why they had no other option than crucifixion. It's what one convict understood on the cross, and what one did not.

RE: creativity - That's your one true sentence. I pray you'll keep writing from there.

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP