Saturday, December 20, 2008

NFL network is horrible at game coverage

The NFL Network needs to stick to pre-game coverage and one-hour highlight reels.

The game coverage of the game between the Dallas Cowboys and Baltimore Ravens is absolutely horrible. To begin with, the graphics that appear on the screen leave much to be desired. The minimalistic graphics are too minimal. NBC, ESPN, FOX and CBS have us accustomed to know the down, yardage and statistical information about the players. The NFL Network does not look like they were prepared for this game.

Secondly, the play by play is horrible. The guy calling this game needs better "spotters" because he is having a hard time either 1) calling the player of interests name, or 2) getting the name right. He is robotic in his analysis and is not interesting to listen to at all.

Third, the "color commentary" seems more interested (Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders) in reliving their glory days in the NFL than talking about the game at hand. A great example is the last two minutes of the second half and the Cowboys have the ball. The stadium is electrified, the radio announcers are emotionally engaged with the excitement of a "no-huddle" offense and the chance for Romo and TO to connect in the end-zone. Meanwhile on the NFL network, Marshall and Deion are talking about how the Cowboys need to go three and out and just let their defense run the time out. WHAT? First of all, that doesn't even make sense, and secondly, it sounded more like the personal appeal of the announcers to get this half over with so that Deion can change his shoes, put on a coat and shelter himself from the 32 degree wind-chill... which by the way seemed to be their chief interest.

Fourth, when are we going to finally be done with "proprietary endeavors?" In a world that is going Open Source, it seems the NFL Network is trying to buck the system. Here is what I say - if you are going Proprietary, then be the very best out there. Don't lock everyone else out of covering this game and then totally suck at the product you provide.

As a viewer I feel like a hostage to maybe the worst football coverage I have seen all year.

On the same note, but different angle, I am shocked about how much I like the coverage of football games. It has become its own entertainment in itself. I realize that as much as I like to watch a good football game, I like for it to be covered and analyzed well. I want the announcers to take me onto the field and into the helmets. I want to feel the vibe of the stadium. I want to know what is going on behind the scenes. I want to understand the game, the situation and the importance behind what is happening. When that doesn't happen, I am disappointed.

Tonight, I am disappointed. I'm let down and I am not a fan of the NFL Network. Overall, the Network itself is not able to get out of the way of their own hype and corporate ego and let the viewer enjoy the game.

4 comments:

Melynda Hensley December 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

Ross I totally agree. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Unknown December 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

Preach it brother... Great comments.

Unknown December 20, 2008 at 11:58 PM  

Preach it brother... Great comments.

Anonymous December 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM  

Maybe you should change teams...the EAGLES could always use another fan :)

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP