Friday, September 19, 2008

My Friday (09.19.08)


The day started out uneventful. I got up early, the kids got ready for school and then Leslie, Katherine and me went on our Friday morning breakfast date. We splurged this morning and split an order of the cinnamon rolls. After breakfast we went to Walmart and bought Jay a mouthpiece in preparation for his first flag football game tomorrow.

After we got home, Katherine watched some PBS, Leslie made some phone calls and I caught up on some reading. Trying to make my way through Jack Welch's book Winning. Enjoying the book immensely and at the same time reminding myself, "the church is not a business..."

My M.O. is that I usually go to bed late on Thursday night (catching up on emails, TiVo and blog reading), especially after a late elders meeting. Then, I wake up early on Friday mornings - all in preparation for a "day off nap." I love those.

After a great nap, I mowed the yard, picked Jay up from school, finished the yard and then Jay and I played catch for about an hour while Katherine jumped on the trampoline. At about 5:45, Maggie was picked up by some of her friends and they all headed to her friends house to eat pizza, do hair and then off to their first middle school dance.

Now, I must pause here for a moment... I've stated before the 'transition' of becoming a parent of a middle school'er has been hard. This is just another step. Wow... it was just yesterday that Maggie was Katherine's age and watching PBS after Friday morning breakfast dates. The time has just flown by.

Maggie headed to the dance and Leslie, Jay and Katherine and me went to the Olive Garden to take advantage of two free kids meals. On the way home we stopped to get some ice cream and were joined by the Wrights for ice cream, story-telling, and kids playing. A great evening!

Maggie rolled in about 11 after hanging out with friends and their moms at the Whataburger for the '6th grade girls post-dance tradition.' She had a great time and didn't dance with any boys.

The house is quiet now and I'm headed to bed. I love taking Fridays off and usually have a great day of thinking, reading, napping and resting in preparation for Sunday. Today was a great Friday.


As always: *Propers to Todd Wright for the “My Friday” movement.

3 comments:

Liz September 20, 2008 at 12:56 AM  

I can totally relate. Our oldest is in 7th grade. Thankfully she's still somewhat of a tomboy who is more interested in books, computers & playing in band than any boy alive. (well, except for maybe her dad!) It's made the transition a little easier on us, but wow...junior high kids...I remember the things that were going through my head at that age. And it ain't pretty!

Anonymous September 20, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

I'm glad all of you had a great evening. I'm especially glad to learn Maggie didn't dance with any boys. I don't want my grandchildren to grow up (not really) I just can't believe it is happening. Even I can remember middle school--it was traumatic in some ways as I think it is for probably everyone.

ross September 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

Middle school is one of the memories that are forever burned into your brain! I'm realizing how much this time will be one of the landmarks in her journey...

About This Blog

Name: Ross Strader

Age: 37

Birthday: March 6

College: Hardin-Simmons

Graduate: Hardin-Simmons

Seminary: Dallas Theological

Major: M.A. Family Psychology;

Th.M Pastoral Leadership

“The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy; but I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.” -Jesus (John 10:10)


  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP